[XeTeX] Opentype features problem in Windows

Juan Acevedo juan.acevedo at gmx.net
Sat Mar 15 05:27:12 CET 2008

Dear all,

I am test driving a new customised Opentype Bembo Book from Monotype, who
have added a couple of features to the font and corrected some kernings
(JK you may remember some time ago I approached you with queries regarding
this work). Now, unfortunately, the kerning corrections do show up nicely
when I prepare a sample text in OpenOffice Writer, but they are not there
to be seen when I try with XeTeX. Even worse, features that used to work
under XeTeX with the original Bembo Book, like old style numbers and small
caps, are now gone with the customised font. My guess is that when the
Monotype people worked on the font, they broke something, but being no
font expert at all, I would not even know how to explain the problem. The
fact that OO Writer displays the right kerning seems to indicate that the
font actually contains the corrections, now, could I tell XeTeX how to
access them?

I am using TexLive under Windows XP, and I have no Mac at hand at the
moment to try this behaviour. Fontspec is v.1.14, but I have also tried
without fontspec, and the problem is the same.

Can someone give a hint as to where the problem lies?

Thanks in advance,

Juan