[XeTeX] xetex and friends for fedora 8

Kirk Lowery empirical.humanist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 17:58:50 CET 2008

Thanks for your response. Comments below:

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Arthur Reutenauer
<arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> wrote:
> > Fedora will be moving to TeXLive eventually, from what I hear
>
>   I suppose they don't have much of a choice ...
>

>  > Does anyone have experience with xetex on a Fedora system?
>
>   Yes, I installed TeX Live from the CD :-)
>
>   There was no problem for that distribution to coexist with the
>  system's teTeX, since I don't use the latter at all.  I simply put TeX
>  Live binaries earlier in my PATH, and everything went well.  What
>  problem do you think you could have?

I have read complaints on the Fedora Core list about
conflicts/problems with installing TeXLive and not removing teTeX. But
your suggestion of installing all of it and putting TeXLive binaries
earlier in the path should do it. Installing the whole thing isn't a
problem for my Fedora desktop...it has 1TB of hard disk. :-)

I just found this link
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureTexLive#head-694fe23a06614cef1588905ead64d7f2cf9edd74)
that gives all one needs to know about replacing teTeX with TeXLive on
Fedora 8. And that page also promises that Fedora 9 will use TeXLive
by default.

Kirk