[XeTeX] Encoding of auxiliary files

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Mar 13 16:01:11 CET 2008

On 13 Mar 2008, at 11:29 am, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>> Right; they'd only really be necessary if you have a space in the
>> encoding name. (Which probably doesn't apply to codepage names, but
>> it applies to files and especially font names, of course. And they're
>> all scanned in the same way by xetex. So I'm in the habit of putting
>> quotes around any and all "filenames" in my source.)
>>
> By the way, is there anywhere (else than XeTeX's source code :-) )
> some
> precise description of what is a "filename" to XeTeX (e.g.
> something like in
> chapters 24-26 of the TeXbook)?

No, there's no such formal description, AFAIK.

Informally, it's like a filename in TeX, except that if the scanner
encounters a 'single quote' or "double quote" character, it will
accept spaces as part of the name until it finds the matching
character to close the quoted part of the name. Such quote marks are
not themselves part of the name. (To include a quote mark in the
name, it should be within a section that is quoted using the other
variety of marks.)