[XeTeX] How do I build xdvipdfmx (or xdv2pdf) on Windows?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Mar 7 13:00:20 CET 2008

On 7 Mar 2008, at 11:48 am, Sven Siegmund wrote:

>>  This feature requires an update to the xdvipdfmx (or xdv2pdf)
>> driver.
>>  As building xdvipdfmx "standalone" has always been a bit of a pain,
>>  I've put a copy of the sources into the xetex repository, and the
>>  build-xetex script there will now build the driver as well as xetex
>>  itself.
>
> I have found the xdvipdfmx in the repository
> (http://scripts.sil.org/svn-public/xetex/TRUNK/texk/xdvipdfmx/) but I
> don't see there the build-xetex script.

The build-xetex script is at the top level (of TRUNK), and builds
both xetex and xdvipdfmx. (xdv2pdf can't run on Windows, it's a Mac-
only driver.)

However, that's a Unix shell script....

> Anyway, I do not have any experience in building things from the
> source yet. Do I need to have a C compiler installed in my Windows XP
> to do that?

Building on Windows is a whole different issue, and I don't know much
about it; the W32TeX and MikTeX projects handle that, and you'd have
to look at them for guidance, I guess.

However, it's probably simpler to wait a day or two for Akira Kakuto
to update the xetex-dev archive (on the W32TeX page, see links at the
xetex web site). He usually rebuilds promptly whenever the source is
updated.