[XeTeX] TemporaLGCUni-Italic: Parsing CFF DICT failed

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Mar 3 22:29:58 CET 2008

On 3 Mar 2008, at 5:46 pm, Alexey Kryukov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> a user have complained that he can't get proper Bold/Italic styles
> when using the OTF version of my old Tempora LGC Unicode font
> with XeTeX. The font itself is obsolete but still available at
> http://thessalonica.org.ru/downloads/tempora-lgc.otf.zip.
>
> A minimal testcase file would look as follows:
>
> \font\x="TemporaLGCUni-Regular" at 12pt\x
> Test.
> \font\x="TemporaLGCUni-Italic" at 12pt\x
> Test.
> \bye
>
> When processing this file, an error is generated and no pdf
> is created.
>
> Running xdvipdfmx -vv produces the following output:
>
> otf_cmap>> Creating ToUnicode CMap
> for "/home/alexios/.fonts/TemporaLGCUni-Italic.otf"...
> (CID:/home/alexios/.fonts/TemporaLGCUni-Regular.otf[LRKMXU
> +TemporaLGCUni-Regular]
> [CIDFontType0][28 glyphs][4427 bytes])
> (CID:/home/alexios/.fonts/TemporaLGCUni-Italic.otf[CGEOAY
> +TemporaLGCUni-Italic]
> [CIDFontType0]
> ** ERROR ** CFF: Parsing CFF DICT failed. (error=-3)

Sorry, xdvipdfmx doesn't offer any detailed diagnostics at the moment
if it can't handle a particular font; it just gives up with an error
message (as here).

Looking in the source code, it seems that error code -3 is
CFF_ERROR_STACK_UNDERFLOW. But why that's happening -- whether it's a
genuine error in the font, or a bug in xdvipdfmx -- I don't know
without further investigation. I'm not very familiar with CFF font
structures, so tracing this will be fairly tedious.... :(

Are you able to test whether dvipdfmx can handle the font? In
general, virtually all this code comes from that project, and if
there's a problem, it may well show up with both drivers.