[XeTeX] "Std" fonts and some European characters

Glen Wilson glenmatthewwilson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 00:24:09 CEST 2008

I've been trying to figure simmilar things out. The only way that I have
had success is with TECkit. When you list your font

\font\myname="FONTNAME: ..." ...

if you include the following:

mapping=tex-text

that is to say, change the first code line to

\font\myname="FONTNAME:mapping=tex-text,..."...

you will get the simple mappings:

--   is mapped to an en-dash;
---  is mapped to an em-dash;

and similar other standard latex mappings. If you are on a Linux system,
the file that does all of this is in (or something close to)
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/misc/xetex/fontmapping .

If you install TECkit from <
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&cat_id=TECkit >
you can alter the .map file found in the above directory and compile it
into a .tec which you can then call in a similar way. So say you alter
tex-text.map and name it my-file.map. You then compile and get
my-file.tec and can call it for your font with

\font\myname="FONTNAME:mapping=my-file,..."...

For instance, I needed an old style long s, and I made the mapping s'
map to the long s. (probably not the best choice, but as example it works).

On the TECkit website, they provide pre-compiled .tec files for certain
languages. I haven't looked through them, but it could save you loads of
work.

I hope this helps!

Glen