[XeTeX] non-breaking space in Sanskrit

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Mon Jun 23 07:29:05 CEST 2008

Hello.

Le 22 juin 08 à 19:54, François Charette a écrit :

> Yves Codet a écrit :
>>
>>> I have just added the modification, but before committing, I'd like
>>> you to confirm that the punctuation marks you have in mind (in
>>> addition
>>> to । and ॥) are ! ? ; and : (as with French).
>>>

>> Normally Sanskrit only has । and ॥. Some editions do use
>> punctuation marks borrowed from Latin script; though this is not the
>> best practice, you might want to take care of them in gloss-
>> sanskrit.ldf (after all it's up to the user to decide if he'll use
>> such punctuation marks or not); in that case I think they should be
>> preceded by a non-breaking space as well, as in French.
>>

> I've just commited the change to gloss-sanskrit.ldf on the xetex
> svn server.

I don't use Latin punctuation marks in Sanskrit so I couldn't test
their behaviour, but the desired space now appears before danda and
double danda. Thanks for this new feature, François.

Incidentally, I've uploaded a modified version of sanhyph.tex which
will work with Polyglossia (but not with Babel anymore), but I think
it won't appear on CTAN until Polyglossia is publicly released. If
some members of the list want to test it, here it is.

Best wishes,

Yves