[XeTeX] Some problems with PSTricks

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 21 13:22:12 CEST 2008

Hello all

If it is of any relevance, using plain XeTeX in Windows XP I certainly have
a lot of trouble with PS Tricks line-drawing commands mingled with plain
text:  usually the very first command works and after that there are many
strange effects (subsequent line-drawing commands on the same page are often
ignored, and strangest of all, a line-drawing command on the next page will
be ignored but the successful one on the preceding page will be repeated on
the next page in the PDF output even though it is not present at that point
in the .TEX file!).  This is a pity since I do quite often want (for
example) to draw arrows between phrases in tables, and this is unproblematic
in my old and very stable 4AllTeX distribution (which doesn't handle Unicode
of course).

Other PS Tricks commands, such as \rput to reposition text or \psscalebox to
stretch and shrink text, seem to work reliably.

Separate PS Tricks pictures using lines and arrows are sometimes incomplete
though there is no hint of an error in the input:  indeed, Sumatra tends to
show them correctly whereas in Acrobat I might (for example) find there is a
line missing from a triangle.  (Unfortunately, everything has to be
satisfactory in Acrobat in order to pass a PDF file on for book-printing.)

I'm hoping the glitches will disappear in the 2008 TeXLive distribution!

Best

John