[XeTeX] mapping=tex-text and weird ligatures

James Cloos cloos+tug-xetex at jhcloos.com
Fri Jun 20 12:16:02 CEST 2008

>>>>> “Will” == Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com> writes:

Will> I'd be very happy if the en-dash mapped to a 1.5-charwidth wide
Will> glyph in a double-width character and the em-dash mapped to a full
Will> double- width character. Or we could just stop using fixed width
Will> fonts for our code :)

Actually, I bet Emacs could now do that — using the tip of the HEAD
branch in CVS.

It also now has better variable-width font support; you can toggle
between fixed-width and variable-width using (variable-width-mode).

Reading my earlier post I found that DejaVu Serif has *very*
distinguishable endash and emdash glyphs.  Although they, like
DejaVu Sans Mono endash, are grid-fit a pixel too low to match
the numerals at pixelsize=14....

I haven’t tried using variable-pitch-mode for editing src, but I do now
expect to use it whenever I edit TeX.  (Or should I write ΤεΧ? :)

Even without using wide glyphs for the dashes, the monowidth fonts — at
least sfnt/glyf fonts with useful instructions — could easily arrange
for the emdash to be one or two pixels less wide than the advance width,
the endash to be one or two pixels less wide than the emdash, the plus
and minus signs to be a pixel or two less wide than the endash and the
hyphen to be a pixel or two less wide than them.

-JimC