[XeTeX] something wrong with xunicode.sty [WAS: do you see...]

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Sun Jun 15 19:47:11 CEST 2008

Am Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:11:13 +0200 schrieb
francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr:

> Bonsoir,
>
> According to the answer by Syros Apostolos to my previous mail,
> character "\b n" (n , b , d whatever) is undefined if you load
> xunicode.sty, and is defined if you don't load it....
>
> I don't understand why because this can be read in xunicode.sty:
>
> \DeclareUTFcomposite[\UTFencname]{x1E47}{\d}{n}
>
> Who can help?

The \b is defined in xunicode as

\DeclareEncodedCompositeCharacter{\UTFencname}{\b}{0332}{005F}

There 0332 refers to an "combining low line"-char and 005F is the low
line.

This works fine e.g. with the lmodern fonts, but fails with your
Linotype because it seems not to have the 0332-char. You should always
expect that some chars doesn't exist in some fonts and so some
definitions can fails.

If you don't load xunicode \b will fall back to its default
OT1-definition (I didn't try if it works).

--
Ulrike Fischer