[XeTeX] \char and non-unicode Symbol fonts in windows

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Fri Jun 13 14:28:00 CEST 2008

If I run the following document with
This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.0 (MiKTeX 2.7)
I get an arrow from the  \XeTeXglyph-command but the \char shows only
the "missing glyph"-box.

>From a post of Oleg Parashchenko four days ago I learned that this seems
to be a miktex/windows specific behaviour, in  Mac OS X the \char gives
an arrow too. Does someone know what could be the cause of the different
result? Is it because the fonts are different (or handle differently)?

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\newfontface\wingdings{Wingdings}

\begin{document}
{\wingdings\char232 \XeTeXglyph206 } arrow right
\end{document}

--
Ulrike Fischer