[XeTeX] XeTeX at GSC

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 20:19:24 CEST 2008

>   No, UTF-8 input is not *direct* in Omega; you need an OTP for that.
> By default it inputs 8-bit characters.  And it does not process
> characters in UCS-2 form, it simply handles 16-bit characters (which was
> a novelty at the time, at least in Europe, but that does not make it

May I remind you that UCS-2 was the internal character set used by default
by all old versions of Microsoft Operating Systems? So this was a novelty
even for the States (btw, John lives and works in Australia!). In addition, according to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-16

UCS-2 is a fixed-length encoding where each character is encoded by two bytes.

> support Unicode – even only the BMP – out of the box).  That's precisely
> the point of my project.  In any case, I see little reason to try and
> improve Unicode support in Omega or Aleph which are completely abandoned
> by their developers, as you said yourself, and that's why I didn't
> mention them.

Although they are abandoned projects still one has to mention them, if
he/she wants to have a complete and fair account of how things happened.
Omitting Omega from an account is simply unfair, when even the new
TeXLive binaries will include an Omega!

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece