[XeTeX] XeTeX at GSC

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 20:19:41 CEST 2008

> UCS-2 is an obsolete transformation format as it only gives access to
> 6.25% of Unicode's encoding space. The only really useful Unicode
> transformation formats are UTF-32 aka UCS-4, UTF-16 (LE and BE) and UTF-8.

True, but Omega was developed many years ago. At that time UCS-2 was
the default Unicode encoding. UTF-32 and UCS-4 are more recent developments,
which were ignored by the Omega team since they actually stopped working
on the system 6-7 years ago.

> Can Omega or Aleph seamlessly process characters outside of the BMP?

Of course not! As I said Omega is a dead project. But the point is that
it was the first Unicode-aware TeX system. Thus, what was claimed in
the project description was simply false.

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece
http://obelix.ee.duth.gr/~apostolo