[XeTeX] Whoever said quotation-marks are unimportant?

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 27 20:05:25 CEST 2008

Hi Bruno,

The situation with the quotes is even more complicated. For French, I assume that the Academie Francaise has an official style guide. And writing this email, I went to the Dutch wikipedia, which I should have done long before. The result: there are no 'rules' in the Dutch language ;-)) . The "low double quote" ( ,,Hallo", he said) is 'traditional', but inverted high quotes are equally valid. Single quotes are allowed, but generally discouraged for citations, instead they are used for emphasis or irony:

,, I wonder if you 'question' is really a question.", said the teacher.
I have a 'modern' computer (an Atari 2600 or so).

Guillemets are part of the official Dutch typography but are seldom used (I remember my grandparents had old books with <<this is a quote>>).

In English, the inverted upper quotes are traditional for opening a citations, and the normal double quotes to close it, single quotes are used to 'cite within a citation'.

In Dutch, a continuation of a citation gets new quotes:

"This is piece of text which was written as a quotation."
"In the new paragraph, the speaker just continued to talk like there was no tomorrow."

In English, a continued quotation is usually not closed, but new opening quotes are used:

"This is piece of text which was written as a quotation.
"In the new paragraph, the speaker just continued to talk like there was no tomorrow."

Anyway. Dutch is thus easy. There are no rules and thus one cannot make mistakes :-)).

Wilfred