[XeTeX] Whoever said quotation-marks are unimportant?

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 27 19:10:50 CEST 2008

Hey all,

In my neverending quest to make my documents look better, I have a simple question:

When using latex, I can make 'upturned double quotes' by typing ``. Latex reads this as a 'special sequence' and puts the upturned double quotes. If I do the same in xetex, I don't get the upturned double quotes. How can I get the upturned double quotes in xetex, I don't see it on my keyboard.

As a related matter, in English (if I'm not mistaken), a quote is opened with the 'upturned double quote' and closed by the normal double quotes. In Dutch however, I think that the opening quote is supposed to be normal double quotes, but on the baseline of the text, like so:

He said: ,, I don't know what you're talking about. You and your quotes!"

Is this possible in xetex, or does one need a special font for this? I guess, what I asking is, how many of these quotes are catered for in Unicode and how to access those?

Thanks,
Wilfred