[XeTeX] Syriac in Polyglossia

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Thu Jul 24 17:26:17 CEST 2008

Gareth Hughes wrote:

> It's good to know exactly how polyglossia goes about picking its font.
> How does this work if one has a number of fonts that could be used;
> does polyglossia just choose the main font if that works, or
> first/last other to be declared that fits the bill?
It only tries two fonts: first it looks whether \<language>font exists,
else it tries the currently active font. NB: For some languages and/or
scripts (but not yet Syriac), it is also possible to define
\<script>fontsf and \<script>fonttt for sanserif and monospace. This is
not yet fully implemented, and probably not yet documented.

> No, Syriac abjads are not limited to 499 (taw+sadhe+teth). The largest
> unmodified numeral, taw, is 400, but the letters can be combined for
> higher values. Some people would write taw+qoph (400+100) for 500, but
> the classical system places a dot (possibly U+0741) over nun (50) to
> increase its value tenfold. This system can then represent numbers to
> 999 (sadhe+sadhe+teth), then 1000 is represented by alaph with a
> diagonal stroke (U+0748) below it (and beth for 2000 and so forth). In
> practice, these dots and strokes are omitted as a small value before a
> large has to be modified to make sense. Thus, 2008 is often written
> beth+heth without any modifying marks; anyone knowing the system will
> know that the beth has to stand for 2000 rather than 2. To complicate
> things, so very old manuscripts use a variant of the old Aramaic
> numerals.

Thanks a lot for that information. I have modified gloss-syriac.ldf
accordingly. Now \abjadsyriac supports numbers up to 9999 (I'll send you
the file off-list). The update on CTAN should happen this week-end.

François