[XeTeX] Fwd: fontspec question on windows

Andrew Moschou andmos at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 15:24:32 CEST 2008

With [ExternalLocation], I was unable to use my font "Gauß Text" with
filename "GaußText.ttf" with this in the log:
fontspec.cfg loaded.
("F:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\xelatex\fontspec\fontspec.cfg"))
! Font \zf at basefont=[GaußText.ttf] at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
r installed font not found.
\zf at fontspec ...ntname \zf at suffix " at \f at size pt
                                                  \unless \ifzf at icu \zf at set
@...
l.3 \setmainfont[ExternalLocation]{GaußText.ttf}

?
The command prompt window, unable to display UTF-8, shows something a little
different (attached xelatexgausstest1.png).

Without [ExternalLocation], the PDF compiles without a problem, but when
viewing the font list, Adobe Reader 9 shows "GauText" i.e. without ß.

(Incidently, Gauss Text is my modification of Gentium to include (somewhat
crude) small caps and (very crude) old style figures. Let me know if you'd
like a copy to try.)

Andrew