[XeTeX] German Fraktur Unicode [SaferSurf: virus free]

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Jul 5 23:49:47 CEST 2008

On 5 Jul 2008, at 7:22 pm, Daniel Hoffmann wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am using XeLaTex from MikTex 2.7 Win XP edition as a newbie.
> My editor is "Unired" which creates unicode output. I managed to
> include German, French and Greek letters into the document by
> drag'n drop, but using  \setmainfont{Alte Schwabacher}within
> Xelatex I got problems with the manual use of ligatures and
> German long-S-Character (which is quite easy using yfont
> with \swabfamily using "*a" or "s:").
>
> A simple drag 'n drop transfer to the editor is not possible because
> the German long-s represents the backslash in other fonts and the
> special Fraktur characters don't seem to be included in the editor's
> default font.

I'm not familiar with the specific font you're using, but this sounds
very much like it is not a Unicode-compliant font but rather uses
some "ad hoc" encoding where the long-s and special Fraktur
characters are placed at the ASCII (or Latin-1) code points of
backslash, etc.

Using such a font in conjunction with a Unicode-based editor and
typesetting system will be difficult at best. I would recommend
looking for a Unicode-compliant font that provides the Fraktur style
you want, and implements ligatures, etc., using OpenType features.