[XeTeX] Problems with polyglossia

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 18:45:27 CET 2008

What do i have to do to change the language to english

or german or  french?
I pressume you are  using the hyphenation patterns contained in xgrmhyph.tex.
If this is correct, then what you get is absolutely correct! You see when the
these Unicode-encoded hyphenation patterns were released,  we did not want
them to be usable with LaTeX. Consequently, one could not use the "standard"
language.dat file to generate the XeLaTeX format file. And I still  believe this
should be the case since TeX cannot correctly handle  Unicode-encoded hyphenation
patterns (for me the various tricks employed are just tricks).   One has to find
another way to invoke hyphenation patterns. At any rate, if you want to work
with the polyglossia package (BTW, I have promised to help with the Greek
option and I will do it; moreover, I believe every native speaker should do the same
with the corresponding option), then comment out the third and the fifth line of
xgrmhyph.tex, as shown below:

\input xgrcodes.tex
\message{Hyphenation patterns for polytonic Modern Greek}
%\newlanguage\moderngreek
\begingroup
%\language\moderngreek

A.S.

*Apostolos Syropoulos                                         *
*snail mail: 366, 28th October Str., GR-671 00  Xanthi, HELLAS *
*email     : asyropoulos (at) yahoo (dot) com                                      *
*phone num.: +30-2541-028704                                                                    *
*home page : http://obelix.ee.duth.gr/~apostolo                              *
*blog : http://asyropoulos.wordpress.com/                                          *