[XeTeX] [OT?] "Optimized" PDFs?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Jan 16 18:23:53 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 09:55 +0100, Martin Schröder wrote:
> No, and neither does pdftex. ghostscript comes with pdfopt, which
> converts normal PDF to linearized PDF.

Thank you for the pointer to the tool; it is perfectly okay by me to
have separate tools for separate tasks.  :)

> Typically, "Optimized" is used as a synonym for Linearized PDF.

I do find it interesting that optimized PDF files are larger than
non-optimized PDF files.

Is there any truly compelling reason that I would want to optimize my
PDF documents?  It seems that most documents that you find on the
Internet---or get from places like EBSCOhost, the ACM, and similar---are
always optimized.  Does this somehow streamline it for the single case
where someone is viewing a PDF using, say, Adobe Acrobat Reader as a Web
browser plug-in?

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us