[XeTeX] [OT?] "Optimized" PDFs?

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 10:11:46 CET 2008

On 16/01/2008, at 7:25 PM, Martin Schröder wrote:

> Typically, "Optimized" is used as a synonym for Linearized PDF.

Which is "optimal" in as far as that pages of the PDF can be
displayed as fast as they can be read and processed -- whereas non-
optimal PDF can require a full pass over the document before it's
displayed. This, particularly, makes reading PDF over the web much
more bearable; furthermore, it could dramatically improve the display
time for TeX document compilation. (If you're looking at page 25 of a
100 page document, you only need to wait for a quarter of the
document to be typeset by TeX before you see it.)

I don't know if it's actually possible to produce linear PDF in
linear manner, however. It might be the case that a post-processing
stage is required. Don't ask me, I'm just an engineer.

Cheers,
Will