[XeTeX] Opentype fonts with vrt2 + linux

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Jan 13 00:33:14 CET 2008

On 12 Jan 2008, at 9:44 pm, Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, I've tried the rotating glyph with the kozuka
> font. This is the input file:
>
> \documentclass[]{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \usepackage{xunicode}
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \fontspec[Mapping=tex-text]{Kozuka Mincho Pro-VI R}
>
> This is English.
> これは日本語です&#1229
> 0;
>

> \fontspec[Mapping=tex-text,Vertical=RotatedGlyphs]{Kozuka
> Mincho Pro-VI R}
>
> \rotatebox{-90}{This is English.
> これは日本語です&#1229
> 0;
> }
>
> \end{document}
>
> I have attached the PDF file I get. It doesn't look
> like I expected. Does this trick really only work with
> AAT, not ICU?

It's supposed to be able to work with ICU as well, though it is
dependent on various font metrics actually being present....

I tried your sample, and noticed two things:

(1) It is necessary to give the [Script=CJK] option to fontspec, to
activate the OpenType features for the CJK (Han) script.

(2) The version of this font that I have is called "Kozuka Mincho Pro-
VI" (no "R" on the end). With this, the vertical seems to behave OK.
I don't know what's different about the "R" version...