[XeTeX] Polytonic greek and XeLaTeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jan 2 15:38:02 CET 2008

Am 02.01.2008 um 05:09 schrieb Ross Moore:

> When both methods are supported, the lines beginning 'decomposed'
> show the result of "Omega + combining comma" (i.e.  U+039F;U+0313;)
> appearing three times on the line, with the 4th instance being
> 'Omega with psili'  (i.e. U+1F48; ). The difference is usually
> visible.

The correct way to produce Ὀ (GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMICRON WITH
PSILI, U+1F48) would be to use Ο  (GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMICRON, U
+039F) with ᾿ (COMBINING COMMA ABOVE, U+0313), which is faked here
with GREEK PSILI at U+1FBF. The combining effect already failed for
Johannes (he is referencing a scheme in X11 to compose one character
from more than one key press event, which seems to have failed), so
we see the two characters. And since COMBINING COMMA ABOVE, U+0313,
is a dead character, it should never be printed but lead to sorts of
failure. To see a psili character the use of GREEK PSILI at U+1FBF is
needed. To see COMBINING COMMA ABOVE, U+0313, as stand-alone psili
character, it must be combined with a space character like Latin ^,
´, `, ~, or ¨.

I'm not sure whether his original post seems to suggest that a method
exists in at least some fonts that combines a letter with a combining
letter (via liga table?) ... so it looks most promising to create a
"greek-tex-text" mapping to pass to XeTeX the already composed
characters – in case Johannes assumes that by writing down two (or
more) characters XeTeX should produce only one. I think he did not
realise that the composition in his editor failed.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
				- Jeremy S. Anderson