[XeTeX] handling malformed UTF-8 input

Andreas Matthias amat at kabsi.at
Fri Feb 22 13:25:30 CET 2008

Ross Moore wrote:

>>> If it becomes an error, then it will be extremely difficult
>>> to use XeTeX in automated processes of the kind that I have
>>> tried to describe above.

Why? The question whether to generate an error or a warning is
independent of the question whether or not to switch to "byte" mode.

>> I haven't set up this kind of system myself before, but wouldn't
>> you run with \nonstopmode for automated processes like this? I do
>> agree with your reasoning, however.
>
> That's not the point.
>
> If there was to be malformed data in the name field,
> this should *not* cause correctly formed UTF8 data in the
> subsequent address field to be displayed in a "bytes" mode.

I agree. I wasn't happy with "byte" mode either.

I just had the impression that your posting before last was
focusing on the question of error/warning. IMHO an error would
be better but a warning is not harmful either.

Ciao
Andreas