[XeTeX] A Few Questions

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Wed Feb 20 09:07:38 CET 2008

Petite Chez Scheme a écrit :
> I am a TeXnician not a LaTeXnician.
>
> I am using plain XeTeX to produce persian typesetting, everything is good.
> 1) I just want to know how do you make the page numbers
> Arabic/Persian, I tried very hard but could not do it.
>

> 2) I tried to make digits to be Persian/arabic in mathmode by defining:
<...>
> Can please anyone help me with this matter?

Dear "Petite Chez Scheme",  << I would prefer addressing you with your
real name, if possible!

You can have a look at my modules for Arabic and Persian in the
polyglossia package
(
http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex/TRUNK/texmf/tex/xelatex/polyglossia/
).

This is for XeLaTeX of course, but the idea is also valid with plain
XeTeX: I simply to use a fontmapping in the default font that changes
Western digits to Arabic or Persian ones. The files for that are under
http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex/TRUNK/texmf/fonts/misc/xetex/fontmapping/

If you define
\font\nazli="Nazli:script=arab,mapping=farsidigits" at 12pt
etc., then all numbers set with this font will be Farsi.

Hope it helps,

FC