[XeTeX] Incompatibility between footmisc and xltxtra

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Feb 18 18:41:05 CET 2008

Just a note to mention an incompatibility between the footmisc and
xltxtra packages.

Minimal example (on Mac OS 10.5.2, with XeTeX and associated packages
from MacTeX/TeXLive-2007):

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[multiple]{footmisc}
\usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra}
\setmainfont{Garamond}
%\setmainfont{GaramondPremrPro}
\begin{document}
Some text\footnote{First note.}\footnote{Second note.}.
\end{document}

If Garamond is used (from Microsoft, a TrueType font), XeLaTeX yields
warnings such as:

Package fontspec Warning:
     AAT feature 'VerticalPosition=Superior' (10,1) not available
     in font "Garamond/AAT"
This warning occured on input line 6.

and the comma in the footnote marks is placed far too low (and not in
superscript size):