[XeTeX] kpathsea problem??

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Feb 13 18:06:40 CET 2008

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> This is two different TeX distributions mixed. Backup, delete,
> install anew.

Sigh, this is what I was afraid it would come to.  And indeed, there are
two latex installations on my linux machine; 'which' finds one, and
'whereis' finds the other (which is why I didn't realize there were two
installations until I ran both 'which' and 'whereis' and noticed that
they were pointing to different directories).

OK, if I'm not mistaken, there is no 'uninstall' program for Latex under
Linux.  Meaning that I have to go in and figure out what directories
things are in, and do the uninstall by hand, with my fingers crossed.  I
have a handle on the executables, I think (I installed one version in
/usr/share/bin/x86-64-linux/, and it looks like all the files in that
dir belong to my install of tex and latex).  And I see a bunch of dirs
whose names start with 'tex' off of /usr/share/, which also appear to be
from my installation.  The other installation is in /usr/bin and I don't
know where else; I plan to leave that installation intact.

I'll also wipe my ~/.texlive2007 dir.  I don't see any other dir
texlive2007 would have installed.

Are there other places I should look?
--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?