[XeTeX] kpathsea problem??

maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Feb 12 17:49:26 CET 2008

Here's the minimal XeTeX doc that displays the problem:
------------------
\documentclass[12pt,letterpaper]{report}
\usepackage{docbook}

\usepackage{fontspec}

\begin{document}
This might be a document.
\end{document}
------------------

The problem doesn't happen if I don't include the
   \usepackage{docbook}
line.

I *think* I traced this further.  Eventually, the file
   /usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/pifont.sty
gets called; according to the trace, that is the last .sty file called
before the error msg.  (I'm assuming that the trace prints the name of the
.sty file it's about to load, rather than after it successfully loads the
file--correct?)

The next few lines in the trace, where the error occurs, are:
------------------
(/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/upzd.fd)kpathsea: Running mktextfm
pzdr
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input pzdr
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf pzdr
! I can't find file `pzdr'.
------------------

There's nothing about 'upzd' or 'pzdr' in pifont.sty, but there are lines
in that .sty file that refer to 'pzd':
------------------
\newcommand{\ding}{\Pisymbol{pzd}}
\def\dingfill#1{\Pifill{pzd}{#1}}
 (etc.)

And the file /usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/upzd.fd has both 'pzd'
and 'pzdr', so I guess the three names are tied together somehow.

All of which gets me down to the place *where* the error occurs, but
doesn't tell me *why* it occurs.  As was suggested, I imagine I have a
configuration error.  But how do I diagnose this?

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD