[XeTeX] kpathsea problem??

maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Feb 12 16:29:25 CET 2008

Bruno Voisin wrote:
>> If you open /usr/share/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg, is there a
>> line for pzdr?
>
> Sorry, I meant type in
>
> kpsewhich psfonts.map
>
> to find out which psfonts.map is used (should be /usr/share/texmf-var/
> fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map probably), then open this file and
> see whether it contains a line for pzdr.

The file it's using is
  ~/.texlive2007/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
which is a link to psfonts_t1.map in the same dir.  I guess the reason
it's a link is must be so I can substitute psfonts_pk.map for
psfonts_t1.map.  No idea where these came from--I didn't set it up like
that (I'm not that smart :-)).

Both psfonts_t1.map and psfonts_pk.map have the ff. line for pzdr:
  pzdr ZapfDingbats

> Same for pdftex.map

...also under a subdir of ~, with the following line for pzdr:
  pzdr Dingbats <uzdr.pfb
(why the '<'?)

> and dvipdfm.map

...also under a subdir of ~, with the following line:
  pzdr default uzdr

> Metafont and mktextfm shouldn't be used for pzdr which should refer to
> the PostScript font Zapf Dingbats or its URW clone uzdr.pfb (included
> in TeXLive). That the log mentions mktextfm and mf indicates a
> misconfiguration.

I suspect you're right, that there's a misconfiguration.  I'm just not
sure what to do about it, short of re-installing the whole shebang (which
I recall was a rather tortuous process).

I'm now creating a minimal doc, to see if I can narrow down where this
happens.

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD