[XeTeX] kpathsea problem??

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Feb 12 05:03:04 CET 2008

I'm running a make process that ran just fine a couple months ago.  But
there have been a lot of changes to the system, and this process has
stopped running.  I can't figure out the error msg.

The process starts xetex running with a simple command line:

   /usr/share/bin/x86_64-linux/xelatex BengaliGrammar.xetex

Xetex successfully loads a bunch of style (.sty) files, then halts
trying to do the following:
------------------
(/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/upzd.fd)kpathsea: Running
mktextfm pzdr
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input pzdr
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf pzdr
! I can't find file `pzdr'.
<*> \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input pzdr

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
------------------

There's more after that, but I think the above is the relevant part.

I gather from googling that pzdr is a font of some sort, and that
mktexmf "is used to generate the Metafont source file for" pzdr.  I'm
not sure why it thinks it needs to use that font (or even which "it" has
decided that); pzdr is surely not a Unicode-capable font (nor is it
"called" in the input file, which instead calls for the Charis SIL,
DejaVu Sans, DejaVu Sans Mono, and Rupali fonts--the latter is for Bengali).

I'm guessing that kpathsea is looking for something in the wrong place.
  Clearly it can't find pzdr, but as I say, I'm not sure why it wants
to. I do have files named pzdr.tfm and pzdr.afm.  (Note to self: under
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/)

That, or maybe I need to re-install something?  Suggestions on where to
look would be much appreciated...
--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?