[XeTeX] Problem with Japanese font

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Feb 10 20:20:02 CET 2008

Hi Cyril,

On 11/02/2008, at 2:14 AM, Cyril Niklaus wrote:

> But if you want only Japanese, you could only use \japanese without
> quotes or simply:
> %%%%%%%%%%%
>    \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>    \usepackage{fontspec, xltxtra, xunicode}
> \setmainfont{Osaka}
>      \XeTeXlinebreaklocale ja
>    \begin{document}
> %Excerpt from <http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20080116-00000993-
> san-soci
>>
> 約半年ぶりに本場所に復帰したモンゴル出身の横
> 綱・
> 朝青龍。相変わらずの“ダーティー・ヒー
> ロー”ぶり
> に、モンゴルの文化や生活を紹介する兵庫県豊岡
> 市但
> 東町の「日本・モンゴル民族博物館」が困惑してい
> る。今年のメーン展示にモンゴル相撲を企画した
> が、
> 朝青龍騒動で「イメージが悪くなる」と見送っ
> た。同
> 館は「朝青龍がダーティーなイメージを払拭(ふっ
> しょく)しない限り、実現は難しい」としている。
> \end{document}
> %%%%%%%%%%

This example doesn't work for me.
   xdvipdfmx  fails, producing the following messages:

rossmoor% xdvipdfmx-0997 japtest2.xdv
japtest2.xdv -> japtest2.pdf
[1
** WARNING ** Unknown 'post' version: 00040000
** ERROR ** Could not obtain necessary font info.

Output file removed.

I'm on a Mac, with Mac OS 10.4.11 .
  xdvipdfmx  gives version info as:

This is xdvipdfmx-0.4 by Jonathan Kew and Jin-Hwan Cho,
an extended version of DVIPDFMx, which in turn was
an extended version of dvipdfm-0.13.2c developed by Mark A. Wicks.

The version of Osaka font that I have is as follows:

PostScript name	Osaka
Full name	Osaka
Family	Osaka
Style	Regular
Kind	TrueType
Language	English, Japanese
Version	4.4
Location	/System/Library/Fonts/Osaka.dfont
Unique name	Apple Computer Osaka
Copyright	ver J-4.4, © 1990-2005 Apple Computer, Inc.
Trademark	HeiseiKakuGothic is a typeface developed under the license
agreement with JSA Font Development and Promotion Center
Enabled	Yes
Duplicate	No

Can anyone spot what is going wrong or needs updating ?

> Cyril

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au