[XeTeX] Conflict between xunicode and fontspec?

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Thu Feb 7 14:14:48 CET 2008

Am Wed, 6 Feb 2008 20:49:33 +0100 schrieb Julien ÉLIE:

>> I guess \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} has the effect of converting
>> some of the accented characters, and probably the non-breaking space,
>> into LaTeX control sequences
>
> I believe it is what it does.  And I must admit it is very bad since
> if I copy/paste the PDF generated, I obtain stuff like "´et´e" or "goˆut"
> instead of "été" or "goût".

This has nothing to do with inputenc. It doesn't matter if a glyph is
printed "directly" or through a more or less longer chains of commands.
What matters is if this chain of commands results in something the
reader recognizes and knows how to copy. In the case of the accents it
is in most cases a question of the output encoding:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\begin{document}