[XeTeX] XeLaTeX & french babel

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Sun Feb 3 19:05:14 CET 2008

>> The only thing that's different between the XeLaTeX and LaTeX =20
>> compilations is polyglossia. I don't know for sure if that's causing =20
>> this error or what the expected behaviour should be, but seems like a =20=
>>

> Same error here.
> So, I renamed hyphen.cfg in polyglossia.
> Then it became ok.

OK, after pondering for a while I think I finally understand what you
mean: you have compiled xetex from the svn server. At the end of the
process the xelatex format was rebuilt, using hyphen.cfg from
polyglossia instead of hyphen.cfg from babel. And this apparently made
xelatex no longer compatible with babel (well, I thought it would still
be!). Since this seems to cause problems, I am going to rename
polyglossia's hyphen.cfg into hyphen_cfg, so that the xelatex format
will continue to use babel's hyphen.cfg by default. This should be
better for the time being, since polyglossia.sty is also compatible with
babel's hyphen.cfg.

François