[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx problem with truetype font (Gill Sans)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Feb 2 21:12:16 CET 2008

On 2 Feb 2008, at 7:32 pm, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 02.02.2008 um 17:12 schrieb Jonathan Kew:
>
>> Because those are LWFN fonts, which are a legacy Mac-only packaging
>> format (with PostScript code in resources); xdvipdfmx doesn't yet
>> know how to handle them.
>
> Does this mean that xdvipdfmx is not using any (type or font)
> services from Mac OS X, that it relies completely on libfontconfig?

No -- unless you've built it in some kind of strange environment
where the configure process sees the X11 services and not the native
Mac OS services, it will use Apple Type Services to find fonts, and
will not use libfontconfig at all. (Try "otool -L /path/to/your/
xdvipdfmx" to see what libraries it's linked with.)

So it may find the LWFN fonts if you have them activated, because Mac
OS X knows about them, but it doesn't actually know how to use those
files. It's on my list of enhancements to do some day, but I haven't
had time to tackle it yet.