[XeTeX] help with hyphenation

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Sat Feb 2 19:27:15 CET 2008

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> (c) if you want them to act as discretionary hyphens, overriding
> whatever hyphenation points TeX might find automatically in those
> words, then define them as TeX discretionaries:
>
>      \catcode"AD=\active  \def^^ad{\-}
>
> I might add (c) as a default definition to the xetex and xelatex
> formats, as it seems like the most logical thing to do with U+00AD.
> But in general, you shouldn't need these in your text at all.

I encourage you to do so. I'd argue that displaying the Unicode
discretionary hyphens mid-line is not Unicode-compliant. Manual
hyphenation is often necessary in some languages when you deal with
personal or location names, or if a hyphenation dictionary for a certain
language is simply not available. Therefore occasional discretionary
hyphens may very well exist in source texts.

--

Adam Twardoch