[XeTeX] From LaTeX to XeLaTeX

Manuel Pegourie-Gonnard manuel.pg at free.fr
Fri Feb 1 09:57:26 CET 2008

Peter Dyballa a écrit :
> Am 31.01.2008 um 23:58 schrieb Jonathan Kew:
> I think this is the appropriate code with babel:
>
> 	\catcode`\«=\active
> 	\catcode`\»=\active
> 	\def«{\og\ignorespaces}
> 	\def»{\fg}

In the documentation of babel, and/or in the comments of frenchb.cfg in a
standard distro, we can find the folowing example :

\initiate at active@char{«}
\initiate at active@char{»}
\AtBeginDocument{%
  \def«{\og\ignorespaces}%
  \def»{{\fg}}%
  }%

which is essentially the same as yours, maybe it's a bit better to define
active chars using babel's mechanisms, I don't know. Anyway, this becomes
useless with v2 of frenchb.ldf, which provides \frenchbsetup{og=«,fg=»} to
do essentially the same (but maybe with some usefull additional precautions,
I didn't read the code).

> I must have found it somewhere ... at least \og and \fg are the old
> macros for « and » with some space.

As far as I know, \og and \fg are not old at all : I am still using them in
my documents when I don't want to use the new frecnhb features for
compatibility resaons.

Manuel.