[XeTeX] View glyph IDs under Windows

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Dec 30 15:20:42 CET 2008

On 30 Dec 2008, at 13:43, Paolo Matteucci wrote:

> 2008/12/30 Jonathan Kew <jonathan at jfkew.plus.com>
>
> FontForge ought to be able to show you what you want, I expect, though
> it seems like overkill if all you want are glyph IDs.
>
> Perhaps you could write a small XeTeX document that generates a PDF
> report showing the glyphs with their IDs; just use a loop to generate
> a table....
>
> Unfortunately, I've never learned to "program" TeX properly. :-?
>
> Anyway, I do have FontForge installed, but all I can see is
> something like, say, 65544, whereas what I'd want would be 223… Are
> the two numbers related? I think not, since the the surrounding
> glyph[ variant]s have completely different [glyph] IDs. :-(

That sounds like a character code rather than a glyph index. (It also
sounds like character codes are being allocated, perhaps
automatically, to what should probably be unencoded variant glyphs,
accessed via font features rather than individual character codes. But
that's a separate matter.)

I'm not a FontForge user, but just trying it.... looks like if you
choose Encoding > Reencode > Glyph Order, then you'll get the glyphs
displayed in the physical order of the font, and the index of the
selected glyph is shown at the top left of the font window. You can
also choose View > Label Glyph By > Encoding Hex, and then it will
label each glyph slot with the index in hex.

HTH,  Jonathan