[XeTeX] xetex and Telugu

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Dec 16 11:29:05 CET 2008

On 16 Dec 2008, at 10:00, Anand Chitipothu wrote:

>> See the "Missing character" messages.... you didn't change from the
>> default LaTeX font cmr10, which doesn't have any Telugu characters.
>>
>> Load the fontspec package, and use \setmainfont to select your Telugu
>> font; something like
>>
>>   \usepackage{fontspec}
>>   \setmainfont[Script=Telugu]{Pothana2000}
>
> Thanks.
> Now PDF has the text but it is not rendered correctly.
> Any idea what might be wrong?
>
> Here is my tex source:
>
> \documentclass[twoside,a4paper,12pt]{book}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setmainfont[Script=Telugu]{Pothana}
>
> \begin{document}
> \end{document}

I don't know any details about the OpenType support in this font;
perhaps it is not fully compatible with xetex's shaping. We'd need to
see your actual source (note that the Telugu characters didn't appear
in the email here), as well as the result you are getting compared to
the correct rendering that you expected.

You could try other fonts (I have seen a suggestion of Gautami, or
even Code2000) to see if this works better. The OpenType support in
such fonts is not always consistent.