[XeTeX] xetex and Telugu

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Dec 16 10:34:33 CET 2008

On 16 Dec 2008, at 07:21, Anand Chitipothu wrote:

> I was experimenting with xetex to see if it can work with Telugu
> language.
>
> After installing BasicTex on my mac from
> http://www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html, I ran xelatex on a sample
> tex file.
> The generated pdf didn't have any characters that were present in the
> tex source and the following errors were found in the transcript.
>
> Missing character: There is no <E0><B0><A4> in font cmr10!
> Missing character: There is no <E0><B1><86> in font cmr10!
> Missing character: There is no <E0><B0><B2> in font cmr10!
> Missing character: There is no <E0><B1><81> in font cmr10!
> Missing character: There is no <E0><B0><97> in font cmr10!
> Missing character: There is no <E0><B1><81> in font cmr10!
>
> I have Pothana.ttf font installed on my machine.
> Can somebody please advise me on how to make xetex work with Telugu
> fonts?

See the "Missing character" messages.... you didn't change from the
default LaTeX font cmr10, which doesn't have any Telugu characters.

Load the fontspec package, and use \setmainfont to select your Telugu
font; something like

    \usepackage{fontspec}
    \setmainfont[Script=Telugu]{Pothana2000}

(not sure if that's the correct font name, but I think I remember
seeing this before).