[XeTeX] choosing semibold?

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Fri Dec 5 01:13:19 CET 2008

Poile, Christopher wrote:

> Now, if I could only find out how to specify an exact point size for a
> font.

I suppose the first way is at the \documentclass level. Of course, that
sets it globally. What Peter D referred to is also an option, i.e.,

\fontsize{XXpt}{XXpt}\selectfont

where the first argument is the point size of the font and the second
argument is the baseline skip.

>  And then figure out how to redefine the section and subsection
> heading so that it doesn’t add a small amount of vertical space
> afterwards.  (I’m able to adjust the section heading’s font style
> using the sectsty package, but I can’t seem to adjust the vertical
> space after the heading.)

I use the memoir class, where section heads can be formatted to suit
your needs via something like:

\setsecheadstyle{\raggedright\scshape\MakeLowercase}
\setbeforesecskip{-\onelineskip}
\setaftersecskip{\onelineskip}

This example is from memman.pdf page 235. I'm sure that, just as the
physician once told me: "there are at least 6 ways to take out a gall
bladder," there are at least as many ways to modify section headings. (I
can't seem to find the secsty on TL2008 ... maybe it's old?)

Hope that helps.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma