[XeTeX] Could not load both Bold and BoldItalic.

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Wed Dec 3 15:33:42 CET 2008

Andrea Franceschini wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to set up Helvetica Neue for chapter and section titling
> using XeLaTeX on Linux. I'm using the PS Type1 edition issued by Adobe
> (since I was given it by a colleague, I cannot really tell it but it
> seems so to me). At first I had a weird problem with loading the right
> shape, since I was loading {Helvetica Neue} and, for some reason,
> Helvetica Neue, Medium Italic kept coming up. I solved it by
> specifying the PS name so that now I'm loading HelveticaNeue-Light
> (Light because it blends better with the Garamond I'm using) and
> everything went fine. Except for the other weights and shapes.
> So, after a bit of research, I came out with the following command
> which seems to work almost perfectly:
>
> \setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase, Mapping=tex-text,
> BoldFont={HelveticaNeue-Bold}, BoldItalic={HelveticaNeue-BoldItalic},
> ItalicFont={HelveticaNeue-LightItalic}]{HelveticaNeue-Light}
>
> except for the Italic shape. They don't get loaded or, at least, they
> don't get shown in the final PDF. However, if I try to load other
> weights of Italics, everything works fine:
>
> \setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase, Mapping=tex-text,
> BoldFont={HelveticaNeue-Bold}, BoldItalic={HelveticaNeue-HeavyItalic},
> ItalicFont={HelveticaNeue-ThinItalic}]{HelveticaNeue-Light}
>
> except for the aesthetic. Be my guest and try it for yourself. It's
> the less awful combination I could find. Now, if anybody had an
> idea...
>
> Thanks.

Hi Andrea!

Do PS Type 1 fonts work with XeTeX?

Your example works fine here --- I'm on a Mac --- and the font Helvetica
Neue is a dfont (and after exploding it in fondu, it shows they're all
ttfs).

Provide a minimal example with any error messages.

Here's what I loaded from your info ... with a couple name changes in
the \altsans (i.e., not "HelveticaNeue-ThinItalic" but
"HelveticaNeue-UltraLightItalic", etc):

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage[variant=us]{english}
\usepackage{lipsum}
\setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase, Mapping=tex-text,
     BoldFont={HelveticaNeue-Bold}, BoldItalic={HelveticaNeue-BoldItalic},
     ItalicFont={HelveticaNeue-LightItalic}]{HelveticaNeue-Light}

\newfontfamily\altsans[Scale=MatchLowercase, Mapping=tex-text,
     BoldFont={HelveticaNeue-Bold}, BoldItalic={HelveticaNeue-BoldItalic},
     ItalicFont={HelveticaNeue-UltraLightItalic}]{HelveticaNeue-Light}

\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text,
Numbers={Proportional,OldStyle},Ligatures=Common]{Garamond Premier Pro}

\begin{document}
\begin{sffamily}
This is a test.

\textbf{As well as this!}

\textit{\lipsum[10]  }

\textbf{\textit{\lipsum[11]}}
\end{sffamily}

\altsans{\lipsum[12]}

\altsans{\textbf{\textit{What does this do?}}}

\altsans{\textit{What about this? \lipsum[13]}}

\end{document}

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma