[XeTeX] Ligatures not working using Utopia

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Aug 30 00:53:36 CEST 2008

Am 27.08.2008 um 13:52 schrieb Markus Gritsch:

> The attachment to this email contains both converted fonts, a minimal
> example using fontspec's ExternalLocation option, and the resulting
> PDF.

The difference is that UTOPIA-R.OTF has a liga table. Without this
table XeTeX obviously can't type the typical TeX ligatures. So it
looks to be useful to extend the standard tex-text mapping by
standard ligatures, as proposed by Andrew Moschou ...

I made a few tests with a few fonts. Those without a liga table did
not display ff, fi, and fl ligatures. Adding fifl-ligs map introduced
the latter two – even PostScript fonts gained. I also found that some
ff ligatures, or something that looks like this (coming from a kern
table?), for example in Georgia, appeared from alone in the absence
of a liga table.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

And always remember the last words of my grandfather, who said: “A
truck!”
				— Emo Phillips