[XeTeX] Ligatures not working using Utopia

Markus Gritsch m.gritsch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 10:31:49 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Andrew Moschou <andmos at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would suggest using TECkit to convert "fi" and "fl" to the Unicode
> ligatures U+FB01, U+FB02, but I don't know what this means for hyphenation
> and searchability.
>
> I've attached fifl-ligs.map and fifl-ligs.tec, which you can use with
> \setmainfont[Mapping=fifl-ligs]{Utopia}. This file will only convert "fi"
> and "fl", but not the other ligatures "ffi" etc.

Thank you for providing the fifl-ligs files.  If I append the contents
of fifl.ligs.map to tex-text.map in the folder MiKTeX
2.7\fonts\misc\xetex\fontmapping and compile the .map to a .tec file,
the ligatures work fine.

Unfortunately I am not able to use a mappong file other than
tex-text.tec.  If I place your files in the folder beside the tex-text
mapping filles and use \setromanfont[Mapping=fifl-ligs]{Utopia} the
log file contains the message

---
Package fontspec Info: Defining font family for 'Utopia' with options [Mapping=
fifl-ligs] on input line 5.
Font mapping `fifl-ligs.tec' for font `Utopia Regular' not found.
---

Any hints how to use a mapping file different from tex-text would be welcome.

Furthermore I converted the Utopia Type1 font to OTF (attached) but
without the modified mapping file, XeTeX still does not use fi and fl
ligatures.  When using the converted Utopia OTF font in Adobe InDesign
CS3, the fi and fl ligatures do work fine.

Kind regards,
Markus