[XeTeX] xelatex and DejaVu Sans

Kess Vargavind vargavind at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 20:18:23 CEST 2008

2008/8/21 M. Niedermair <m_g_n at gmx.de>:
> i cant delete the deb-package ttf-dejavu, because the deb-package
> openoffice.org has a dependence to ttf-dejavu and i need openoffice.org
>
> Now i overwrite the package files with the new files, but i am not
> enthusiastic about this solution.

I have had this same problem. And while I do not find my solution
aesthetic, it works for me.

Install the package equivs¹ and follow some online guides on how to
make your own meta packages. In short, instruct your deb to provide
ttf-dejavu, build and install the deb package, remove the system-wide
ttf-dejavu, now all applications should use your locally installed
fonts in ~/.fonts. (I guess there may be troubles with this method
further down the road as the font packages in addition to the very
fonts installs various instructions on how the system should use them,
but for the few fonts I use this method I have yet to meet any
trouble.)

¹ http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/equivs

Greetings,
Kess

p. s. First time writing to this list. *waves a hello*