[XeTeX] xelatex and DejaVu Sans

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 10:46:48 CEST 2008

On 21/08/2008, at 6:00 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>>> Yes, with fontspec.
>>
>> how can i do that?
>

> To cite from an eMail some hours ago: \font\lso="[DroidSerif-
> Regular.ttf]" \lso aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa \end. With possible path
> specifier. Introduced in fontspec 1.17?

You give a XeTeX font command and then mention fontspec.
The equivalent command is
   \newfontfamily\lso[ExternalLocation]{DroidSerif-Regular.ttf}

Unfortunately, it currently does not work to write something like
   \defaultfontfeatures{ExternalLocation}
but I've got a bug ticket open...

I'd like in the future to auto-parse when an external font is
specified, allowing all three of the following:
   \newfontfamily\lso[ExternalLocation]{DroidSerif-Regular}% detect
the extension automatically?
   \newfontfamily\lso{[DroidSerif-Regular.ttf]}% currently does not work
   \newfontfamily\lso{DroidSerif-Regular.ttf}% can parse the extension
so we know it's "external"

Anyway, the only way this sort of font specification is portable is if
the font itself is put somewhere in the TDS (or the current
direction). For example, you can get to the LM fonts through $TEXMF/
fonts/opentype/public/lm/ so to select them in fontspec you can write
   \newfontfamily\lm[ExternalLocation]{lmsans10-regular.otf}

Same with the TeX Gyre fonts, which I need to write euenc definitions
for, probably. (Well, maybe not. There's no way in euenc to specify
font features. But some could be hard-coded.)

Cheers,
Will