[XeTeX] Where download Vanilla XeTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Aug 13 14:53:58 CEST 2008

Le 13 août 08 à 14:11, Vasile Gaburici a écrit :

> You are mistaken about where the svn install script puts the new
> binaries. It will track down, following symlinks if necessary, and
> will overwrite your existing xetex and xdvipdfmx binaries that it
> finds in your PATH. You need to edit the install script if this is not
> what you want.

There are two different questions here: what is installed now when
compiling XeTeX from source (which is what your answer is about I
think), and what will be installed later when MacTeX-2008 (the Mac
packaging of TeXLive-2008) is released (which was Paolo's question if
I'm not mistaken).

In other words, again if I'm not mistaken, Paolo's concern was whether
installing now XeTeX from source will have any influence on a later
TeXLive install through MacTeX (whether the files installed now when
compiling XeTeX from source will take precedence over the files
installed later through MacTeX-2008). The answer is No.

All this knowing that Paolo uses currently a different TeX
distribution for the Mac, named gwTeX and installed via an application
called i-Installer. gwTeX itself is based on a subset (corresponding
more-or-less to teTeX) of TeXLive-2007.

Actually, there are two different things to consider in a XeTeX
installation: the binaries, and the accompanying files (LaTeX
packages, scripts, formats, etc.).

When compiling XeTeX from source, the binaries overwrite those in the
current TeX installation, while the accompanying files are put in the
TEXMFLOCAL tree reserved for local additions. When installing later a
new TeXLive release (MacTeX-2008 for Paolo), precedence will be for
the new binaries but may be for the old accompanying files.

To be more specific, XeTeX pieces are installed in:

- MacTeX-2007: binaries in /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin, accompanying
files in (to simplify) /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist.

- Compilation of XeTeX from source: binaries in /usr/local/texlive/
2007/bin, accompanying files in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local.

- MacTeX-2008: binaries in /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin, accompanying
files in (to simplify) /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist.

Precedence will go to /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin for the binaries
but /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local for the accompanying files. Hence,
in this configuration it is safer to remove any XeTeX-related pieces
from /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local before installing MacTeX-2008.

But here the situation is slightly different because Paolo uses
currently gwTeX instead of MacTeX-2007, yielding:

- gwTeX: binaries in /usr/local/gwTeX/bin, accompanying files in (to
simplify) /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive.

- Compilation of XeTeX from source: binaries in /usr/local/gwTeX/bin,
accompanying files in /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local.

- MacTeX-2008: binaries in /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin, accompanying
files in (to simplify) /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist.

After using the TeX Distribution pref panel to switch from gwTeX to
TeXLive-2008, only the binaries and accompanying files from
MacTeX-2008 will be seen.

Bruno