[XeTeX] \XeTeXrevision (was: A XeTeX bug or a MiKTeX bug?)

Andreas Matthias amat at kabsi.at
Sun Apr 27 19:31:56 CEST 2008

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> [XeTeX] is updated to v. 0.998.1, the problem should go away.

And other problems arise. With this new revision number the
following check doesn't work any more:

\ifnum\XeTeXversion=0
  \edef\temp{\expandafter\@gobble\XeTeXrevision}%
  \ifnum\temp<997
    \@latex at warning{no way}%
  \fi
\fi

Thus, a more complex test is needed:

\def\gobble at nil#1\@nil{}
\ifnum\XeTeXversion=0
  \afterassignment\gobble at nil
  \count@\expandafter\@gobble\XeTeXrevision.\@nil
  \ifnum\count@<997
    \@latex at warning{no way}%
  \fi
\fi

Well, at least in my texmf-tree pdfpages seems to be the only
package that uses \XeTeXrevision. I will fix it.

Will only development version have this kind of minor revision
number (the number after the second dot)? How about having a
XeTeX_revision_minor?

@d XeTeX_version=0
@d XeTeX_revision==".998"
@d XeTeX_revision_minor==".0"
@d XeTeX_version_string=='-0.998.0' {current \XeTeX\ version}

Or putting the minor revision number only into XeTeX_version_string,
the way pdftex does it?

@d XeTeX_version=0
@d XeTeX_revision==".998"
@d XeTeX_version_string=='-0.998.0' {current \XeTeX\ version}