[XeTeX] long search time when font doesn't exist

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Fri Apr 25 18:09:57 CEST 2008

Am Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:47:27 +0200 schrieb Andreas Matthias:

> Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>
>> if I try to use a font that doesn't exist (e.g. because I mistype the
>> name) then xelatex stops for about a minute while the hard drive is
>> quite busy. Then I get the expected "tfm missing" error.
>
> Could it be that you haven't got a font cache, or at least not an
> up-to-date one?

No. Miktex is recreating the cache after updates. Also I made myself
some tests with fc-cache so the cache is there and it is up-to-date.

>> \documentclass{article}
>>
>> \font\x="Myriad Proxx"
>> \begin{document}
>> \x xx
>> \end{document}
>
> Here it takes 1.0s if the font is found, 2.4s if it is not found
> and 14.6s if I delete the cache files in /var/cache/fontconfig
> and ~/.fontconfig.

If the font exists, it is quite fast here too.

I thought at first that miktex is going through its list of package to
decide if an installation is needed. But I get the delay even if I
disable the on-the-fly-installation.

--
Ulrike Fischer