[XeTeX] xelatex pdf files much larger than latex dvipdfm pdf files

Daniel Greenhoe dgreenhoe at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 07:42:21 CEST 2008

--- On Thu, 4/24/08, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:
> If you're on the Mac, by default xelatex uses the
> XDVI-to-PDF
> converter xdv2pdf which relies on the OS X Quartz
> "libraries" (if that
> is indeed the correct term) to produce PDF output. As a
> result, the
> output is in the PDF 1.3 format and does not use
> compression.

I am using Miktex 2.7 on a Windows XP platform.

I did take a look and found that xelatex is compiling using pdf version 1.4, while dvipdfm uses version 1.2. So this is strange -- the newer version of pdf is actually producing a pdf file that is about 2 times as large as the old version.

Here are the results of producing pdf files using three different methods:
  1. latex+dvipdfm:     ~1.6Mbytes   pdf 1.2  (tex-->dvi-->pdf)
  2. xelatex:           ~3.3Mbytes   pdf 1.4  (tex-->pdf)
  3. xelatex+xdvipdfmx: ~3.3Mbytes   pdf 1.4  (tex-->xdv-->pdf)

Dan