[XeTeX] simple font installation question

Daniel Greenhoe dgreenhoe at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 15:46:01 CEST 2008

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your help. The "fontspec" package that you recommended works great. And also the "fc-list" program is very helpful. I can easily switch now between different fonts:

\documentclass{book}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document}
  \fontspec{Times New Roman}
  Chinese 1 2 3 \\
  \fontspec{PMingLiU}
  中文  一二三 \\
  \fontspec{Augie}
  Augie font
\end{document}

I will read through the fontspec.pdf file that you recommended. But what I would like to know are things like where to download free fonts from, how to install them on my system; and especially Chinese fonts --- like fonts with phonetic markings (bopomopho or pinyin) next to each character, and characters written with dashed lines for practice in writing characters. And, if I use an obscure font to generate a pdf file, is that font information embedded into the pdf file so that it will render properly on all computers even though those computers don't have that font installed? How much is the pdf file size increased by every time I use a new font?

Thank you for all your help,
Dan